This pizza is 100% vegan so there's no meat, fish, eggs or dairy in this recipe and I adapted it from a Food.com recipe - I always adapt recipes, even if it's the first time I've made it! The recipe as a whole takes about 40-45 minutes to make and it's so easy. Here are the ingredients I used:
- 2 cups of plain white flour (not bread flour)
- 1 cup of wholewheat flour (you could just use three cups of plain flour)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of garlic granules
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Vegan cheese (I used the garlic and herb vegan cheese spread and vegan caramalised onion cheese, both from Sainsburys - use as much as you want)
- Parsley, salt, black pepper and fried onions (latter is pre-made from Waitrose/Ocado)
- Broccoli stalks and button mushrooms
- Vegan 'meat' (I used the Frys Family vegan chicken strips which are delicious!)
- Tomato ketchup or passata
1. Measure and combine the flour, yeast, salt, warm water, olive oil and garlic granules in a large bowl or your mixer if you have one. I used my Kitchen Aid for this recipe and it made kneading and mixing the ingredients so quick and easy with minimal mess. When fully combined and lightly kneaded leave in a warm place for ten minutes while your oven is pre-heating to around 200 degrees celcius fan.
2. After ten minutes knead the dough slightly and place on a non-stick silicone baking mat or large greased baking tray and roll out or shape the dough with your hands into whatever pizza shape you want (mine turned out rectangular...) and make sure it's an even thickness so it bakes evenly. Mine was about a £1 coin thickness (approx. 0.5cm) but next time I'd make it slightly thinner. Bake the dough (without the sauce or toppings) for 5-8 minutes.
3. After a maximum of 8 or so minutes, remove the pizza base from the oven and cover with your pizza sauce, I used ketchup as this was a very impromptu pizza but you could use tomato paste, pre-made pizza sauce or passata. Cover with your chosen toppings and bake for around 20 minutes, keep checking on it. Finishing with your fresh herbs and that's it you have a vegan pizza - I used it for multiple meals but it would serve about four with sides!
Let me know if you make this recipe? What are your favourite pizza toppings?